Less than year ago, I took a huge leap of faith and accepted a job in Iowa. I haven’t regretted that decision, but there is a list of things I miss about the great state of Texas. In no particular order:
- Ice Tea-No matter what school I worked at there was an expectation that there would be sweet and unsweet tea in the teacher’s lounge every day. It blew my mind the first few days of school that there was no tea available.
- State Control- Many decisions were made by the Texas Education Agency such as:
- Textbook adoption timeline and choices
- All curriculum standards
- Dates for state mandated testing
- STAAR-I preface that I am not strong advocate of standardized testing, but if I have to do it. The machine that is STAAR/TAKS is easier to understand than the Iowa Assessment.
- Weather-I hate winter. The number of days I went to school this year that would shut down Houston is amazing.
- My teacher friends-I spent the past 16 years working with dedicated teachers that seen me grow from that 20 something teacher to me now. I know that I can call them at anytime. In the past week, one friend sent a 40 page fax because I asked for some more information and another dropped everything to calmly pray with me before a big meeting. I think of them often and wonder how they are doing.
Tomorrow-What I love about Iowa.