Below are my notes from the four session that I attended:
In Praise of American Educators…and How They can Become Even Better
- Greatest Generation of Teachers:
- Highest graduation rate
- Greater Access for low SES
- Highest parent satisfaction rate
- We must improve because consequences for failing are dire.
- Fear does not motivate teachers or other knowledge workers….
- Our national change initiatives only happen in the US
- We can’t be like Finland because they have have a different system.
- PLC can be the answer if we follow through and implement them.
- We cannot take the easy way because change will not occur.
- We need to do the right work and collaborate about a guaranteed viable curriculum.
- Motivate teachers to change with Concrete Evidence of Irrefutably Better results and positive peer pressure
Teaching, Leading and Living a High-Energy and Well-Balanced PLC Life
- Books to read: Power of Full Engagement, Social Intelligence, Flow
- Only 31.4% of teachers are fully engaged according to a Gallup poll
- Being engaged at work leads to better outcomes for students/teachers
- When left to our own devices we would not fully engage in work
- Teachers are more likely to be engaged when they are in the flow.
- Flow-High knowledge & skills and High task challenge
- How to avoid becoming high negative
- Hang out with inspiring people
- Participate in events that are inspiring to you
- Get enough sleep and movement
- Focus on your learning environment
- Have a hobby
- If you are out of balance it is in the inside not the outside
- Internal balance requires white space
- Be inspiring to others by:
Developing a Stretch Culture
- Principals are keys to an effective PLC
- All things must be aligned-Policies, procedures and practices aligned to the mission
- Teacher as a coach
- Lots of Winners and celebrating their successes
- Action stimulates hope
- Get started now.
Overcoming the Achievement Gap Trap:
- Books to read: Tinkering towards Eutopia, Will to Lead, Will to Teach, Overcoming the Achievement Gap Trap
- Original goal of education to socialize European immigrants
- Instead of achievement gap use education debt
- Functional Hypocrisy-We say learning for All, but the systems and mindset are not designed to accomplish it.
- Education should not be meritocracy instead it should be an egalitarianism.
- It does not mean that we take resources from one student to give to another student.
- Two types of change that need to Technical-Structural (skill) and cultural(will)
- We know what works thanks to Marzano and Hattie
- Truly healthy culture creates policies and procedures that adopt learning for all.
- Mindset impacts achievement gap
- Superiority-paternalism(gossip), competition (NCLB), and standard bearing(my turn, your turn instead of reciprocal energy)
- Victim-Irresponsibility, low motivation, low expectations
- What we need is a liberation mindset:
- If you are not sitting at the table, then you are on the menu.
You can read about day one here.
You can read about my next steps here.