I am not going to sugar coat it in any way. February is hard. As a wise friend always said, “Don’t make any career choices in February.”
This year has proven to be no different. In my district, there are so many uncertainties. We have looming layoffs, a new superintendent, and a state accreditation visit. Also, we changed our teacher leadership system which means a large percentage of people including me has to reapply for a job. Needless to say, my stress level is high, and I am very anxious.
With this in mind, I have taken charge of my own self-care. This does not mean that I am indulging in massages and pedicures. Instead, I have focused on the following.
- Exercise: I have found the more I sweat, the less stressed I have become. There is nothing like doing 100 burpees to still a quiet mind.
- Food: I have jumped in with gusto with meal planning. I have enjoyed adding new recipes to my list and knowing that I do not have to think about what’s for dinner on my way home.
- Vacation Planning: I am beyond excited to think about both Spring Break and a summer trip to visit friends.
- Prayer: I have been spending more time in prayer this month. I have also taken my one word, Trust and used it help me focus my prayer.
- Sleep: I have mentally set a bedtime and worked hard to maintain it.
- Books: I have been focusing on books that excite me. Currently, I am reading Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat and no I have not seen the NetFlix series.
I do these things so I can be the best wife, parent, friend, and colleague during this month. I know I don’t have the answers for all of the changes occurring, but I can respond with empathy and compassion because I have taken care of myself.